by Mari Robeson
It’s party time and Mari Robeson has good advice for us. Mari—Interior Design expert and Contributor—takes us inside the world of design, and helps us bring beauty and color to the places we call home.
What a wonderful holiday season it has been and just two days left to say good-bye
No doubt you’ve been invited to numerous New Year’s Eve parties. I love a good party and never want to show up empty-handed. I’m always grateful when company is so thoughtful to bring a little something for the hostess. It’s a wonderful way to acknowledge your friends and let them know how much you appreciate the effort it takes to throw a party.
So I’ve put together a list of My Top Ten Favorite Gifts to Give, even better, to receive, not just New Years Eve but all year round!
1. A small cutting board, some favorite cheeses, and a cheese knife. All wrapped together in a little basket. You can’t go wrong with a quick trip to Trader Joe’s for some delicious cheeses or any cooking accessory from The Pampered Chef.
2. A beautiful hand-printed tea towel wrapped around a bottle of wine. I’m a huge admirer of Pata Pri’s hand silk screened tea towels and a bottle of JLohr Cabernet.
3. For your friends who like to cook, these Floral Sculpted Nesting Bowls are not only functional but beautiful.
4. Speaking of cooking…next time your hostess makes her delicious cupcakes she’ll be thrilled to have these handmade toppers from Amy Bakes Cupcakes.
5. Recently, I was lucky enough to receive a yummy jar of candied walnuts from my neighbor, Terri, who actually cracked all the nuts herself. Now that’s love! These are so good. Eat them plain or in a salad! Yum! Martha Stewart shows how you can make your own.
6. What about a sweet-smelling sachet? These are so pretty!
7. We all love a cute apron and Funktion Home makes my favorites.
8. Something really thoughtful is personalized stationery. I’m loving these designs by Silhouette Blue.
9. A hostess is always so thrilled to receive flowers. Think of the colors of her home and décor when purchasing, and she’ll really love you if you put the blooms in a special vase like this one from Fleet.
10. Last but not least, who doesn’t like a pretty calendar to kick start the new year? This year I gave my friends my 2011 Peacock Calendar & matching Wrapping Paper. These are lovely too! Or you can print your own with these fantastic designs by BlueTricycle.
I hope you have a lovely and safe New Years and remember to
Thank your Host & Hostess!
Mari Robeson — an Interior and Product Designer, and a published Illustrator — strives to bring beauty into the world whenever she can. Mari shares with us her Interior Design tips and advice, and makes learning design concepts fun. With her fresh, creative projects, Mari spreads her love of color and beautiful textiles.
Mari has designed everything from restaurants to children’s rooms. She recently launched her own line of home décor accessories and textiles. She and her husband own WM Design Consultants on the beautiful Central California Coast.
Most days you can find Mari working up her latest designs or teaching Interior Design Workshops in her colorful studio nestled in the countryside.
What’s your favorite hostess gift to give or receive?