Simply Spirals — DIY Ornament #4
Welcome to Day #4 of 30 Days of DIY Designer Ornaments.
Today’s creation is a snap and an excellent project to do with the with the kids or grandkids. It’s a good reuse of a common household item, and it’ll add glimmer to your tree. Let’s start spiraling….
Materials and Tools:
- Cardboard toilet tissue tubes
- White acrylic craft paint
- White glue
- Glitters of your choice
- “Mini” hole punch for making tiny hanging holes
- 1-inch wide dowel or something similar
- Foam brush
- Thin wire & wire cutters, or ornament hanger
1. To open up the tissue tube, cut diagonally along the seam with scissors.
Here are the tubes all opened up.
2. Following the same diagonal line cut 1/4 to 1/2-inch wide strips from the cardboard. Continue to cut as many strips as ornaments you’d like to make.
3. Punch a hole in the end of each strip, with the small hole punch.
4. Wrap each strip around the dowel, hold for a few seconds then remove. This will begin to tighten the spirals.
5. Brush on a coat of white craft paint to cover both sides of each cardboard strip. Be sure to paint a little on each end of the strip as well. Allow the paint to dry for about an hour. Then spiral the strip around the dowel again.
6. Holding the cardboard strip by its edges, brush white glue all over each strip.
7. Cover the glue with glitter. My daughter and I found it best to pour some over, then dip the strip into more glitter. We also decided to have a “glue person” and a “glitter person.” That shiny girl made a fabulous glitter person.
8. Let the glue dry. With glue and glitter, go back and touch up any spots you missed.
9. After the glue is dry, wrap the finished strip around the dowel again to re-tighten the spiral. Hold for a few seconds.
10. That’s it! Just thread a piece of wire or an ornament hanger through the hole. You and the crew can hang your Spirals on the tree, drink some cocoa and enjoy your handiwork!
Thanks for hangin’ with us on Day #4 of 30 Days of DIY Designer Ornaments! Enjoy your friends and family and please share your photos of your completed ornaments & tree
Tomorrow, join us for Day #5 and a cozy creation….
30 days of DIY Designer Ornaments!
- Put this 125 pixel-wide button on your blog or Web site using the code below.
- Write a post about it — contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions
- Tweet about the event and your favorite of the 30 projects
- Post links on your Facebook wall
- Email your friends
Put our button on your site!
Copy the code below: